The Berlin Premoot 2018
Berlin Premoot 2018
The Berlin Premoot 2018 will take place from Thursday, 22nd, until Saturday, 24th of February 2018, at the Faculty of Law of the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, Unter den Linden 9, 10117 Berlin, as well as surrounding law firms.
We are expecting 17 teams from different countries, which will practice together for the oral hearings of the Willem C. Vis Moot in Hong Kong and Vienna.
The Berlin Premoot will commence with the registration and conference on Thursday, 22nd, at 16:30 h. You can find this year's revised schedule in room E 25.
The Registration Period for 2018 has expired.
We are looking forward to welcoming teams from the following universities:
- Amsterdam (NL), Universiteit van Amsterdam
- Ankara (TUR), Ankara University
- Ankara (TUR), Atilim University
- Berlin (GER), Freie Universität
- Berlin (GER), Humboldt-Universität
- Basel (CH), University of Basel
- Freiburg (GER), Albert Ludwigs Universität
- Göttingen (GER), Georg August Universität Göttingen
- Istanbul (TUR), Istanbul University
- Katowice (PL), University of Silesia in Katowice
- Kiel (GER), Christan Albrechts Universität zu Kiel
- Krakow (PL), Jagiellonian University in Krakow
- London (UK), King's College
- Luzern (CH), Universität Luzern
- Paris (F), Science Po
- Turin (ITA), University of Turin
- Turku (FIN), University of Turku
For an event this size, a large number of qualified arbitrators is required to hear the teams' arguments and provide them with feedback to help them with their preparations for the Willem C. Vis Moot competitions in Hong Kong and Vienna. If you would like to support the Berlin Premoot as an arbitrator, please do not hesitate to contact us. The registration form and further relevant documents will be made available soon.
You will find the organisation office ("Erdgeschoss") of the Premoot at the Faculty of Law, Unter den Linden 9, 10117 Berlin, in room E25. We kindly ask you to register here not later than about 15 min before your first hearing.
Furthermore, as an arbitrator you are cordially invited to participate in the entire programme of the Premoot without any charges.
If you would like to support the Berlin Premoot as an arbitrator, please register via this form.
- Location Plan - Buildings
- Location Plan - Faculty Floor Plan
- Guidelines for Arbitrators
- Hearing Schedule
- Case materials:
- UNCITRAL Model Law on International Commercial Arbitration
It reflects the national procedural law of the participating states.
- UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules
They apply to the ad-hoc arbitration according to the parties' arbitration clause.
- IBA Guidelines on Conflicts of Interest in International Arbitration
The teams will likely refer to the IBA Guidelines with regard to the procedural issues.
- New York Convention on the Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards
It governs the recognition and enforcement of arbitral awards, but is only of marginal relevance for the oral hearings.
- UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts
They generally have a gap-filling function for the substantive law and represent the countries national law this year.
- CISG - United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods
The CISG is the applicable substantive law.
The Premoot will open with a conference on „The Future of Arbitration“ on Thursday, 22 February 2018, at 16:30h.
Conference on „The Future of Arbitration“
Senatssaal der Humboldt-Universität, Unter den Linden 6, 10117 Berlin
Welcome Address by
Prof. Dr. Gerhard Wagner, LL.M. (University of Chicago)
Professor of Business Law and Law & Economics at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Dr. Joseph Schwartz, WAGNER Arbitration
- Challenges and Chances for Arbitration -
Dr. Markus Kaulartz, CMS Hasche Sigle
- Smart Contract Dispute Resolution -
Dr. Nils Schmidt-Ahrendts, Hanefeld Rechtsanwälte
- Integrity - A Quality beyond Independence and Impartiality -
Alicja Zielinska-Eisen, LL.M., Linklaters
- A User’s Perspective on the Appointment of Arbitrators -
Dr. Nicolas Klein, LL.M. (Columbia), BodenheimerHerzberg
- The Growing Influence of Public Law on Investment and Sports Arbitration - Is the Future of Arbitration Public?
Further information, updates as well as photos from the event can also be found on our facebook page under www.facebook.com/hma.berlin.
If you have any questions please contact the Premoot Committee.